Your One-Stop Shop for LGBT weddings in the Coachella Valley

Marriage in California

Applying for a License

On June 26th, 2013, the United States Supreme Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, thereby granting legally married same-sex couples equal recognition under federal law. Coupling this momentous civil rights victory, the Supreme Court also denied standing in the case Hollingsworth v. Perry, effectively reversing Proposition 8, California's ban on same-sex marriage.


In light of these historic decisions, Married in Palm Springs is once again honored to function as your one-stop shop for LGBT weddings in the Coachella Valley.


Immediately following the Supreme Court's decisions, our elected officials in California announced that marriage licenses were to be issued to same sex couples without delay.

Applying for your marriage license in Palm Springs is easy. The Riverside County Clerk's Office is conveniently located in nearby Palm Desert. The Clerk's office grants public and civil marriage licenses Monday - Friday (excluding holidays) from 8am to 4pm. Appointments are not required for public marriage licenses but couples are recommended to apply online or fill out a printed application ahead of time. Licenses are valid for 90 days and may be used in any country in the State of California. Appointments are required for a civil ceremony and can be made by calling (760) 863-7490.


To obtain a marriage license you must meet the following requirements:

  • Both parties MUST be 18 years of age or older. If one or both parties are under 18, then a court order for the minor must be obtained before a license can be issued. This applies to emancipated minors as well. The minor must bring the original court order. Minors may NOT be issued a confidential marriage license under any circumstances (Family Code Section 500).
  • Both parties MUST come into the office TOGETHER to obtain the marriage license.
  • Both parties MUST have a valid, current picture I.D. The I.D. must be government issued. Some examples include: State issued Drivers License or I.D. card; Military I.D.; Green Card; Naturalization Certificate; Passport.
  • If either party has been divorced or has had a dissolution of a State Registered Domestic Partnership within 90 days of the issuance of the marriage license, a copy of the FINAL Dissolution IS REQUIRED. We will take a copy of the register of actions showing the written final decree of dissolution has been entered. The divorce paperwork does not need to be certified. A copy of a Minute Order IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

The fee for a public marriage license is $90.00


The fee for a civil ceremony is $75.00


Rings are available for purchase; price range is from $16.20 to $21.60.


Note that your civil ceremony may be performed the same day you obtain your marriage license provided you have an appointment. You must provide at least one witness for the marriage ceremony. All marriage ceremony services must be paid in advance. Payment is required upon scheduling of appointment and is non-refundable.


To obtain a confidential marriage license you must not only meet the requirements for a Public marriage license, you must also meet the following requirements:

  • Both parties must be 18 years of age or older.
  • Both parties must swear in writing that they have already been living together.
  • Effective January 1st, 2015 the Confidential Marriage License may be used anywhere in the State of California.

The fee for a confidential marriage license is $100.00


Once a confidential marriage license is issued, the ceremony must be performed within the State of California within 90 days from the issuance of the marriage license.


Your civil ceremony may be performed the same day you obtain your marriage license provided you have an appointment. Apply online for a Confidential marriage license or print the application.


PLEASE NOTE: When a confidential license is issued for a marriage, the marriage record will be maintained as Confidential. ONLY the married couple may obtain copies of the marriage certificate, EXCEPT by order of the Superior Court. The office of the Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder strongly advises that a Public marriage license be issued except in those instances where the confidentiality of the marriage date is important. It has been our experience that complications frequently arise when copies are requested and can ONLY be issued to the married couple.


For more information on applying for a license, or to print a Marriage License Application, visit the Riverside County Clerk's Office.


Riverside County Administrative Center

38686 El Cerrito Road

Palm Desert, CA, 92211

(760) 863-8732


Marriage licenses are not longer issued at Palm Springs City Hall, however, the Mayor and City Council are available for marriage ceremonies and to make an appointment please call (760) 323-8200. Note that licenses still must still be issued by the County of Riverside or any other county in the state of California.


 ©2013 Burke Rix Communications. All Rights Reserved.